Zero Waste Assistant Coordinator
Compensation: $25-35 / hour
Position: Full-time, permanent
Benefits: Health spending account & Common Good Retirement Savings with employer contribution
While respecting and embodying Raven’s zero waste and community building philosophy throughout; the incumbent’s focus is engaging with and encouraging community effort towards better waste practices overall (becoming a zero-waste community).
1. In collaboration with the Zero Waste Coordinator (ZWC), developing and implementing zero waste programs and communications campaigns and strategies.
2. Developing creative and engaging social media outreach, including video and interactive content and increasing Raven’s social media reach.
3. Coordinating website updates.
4. Creating posters & signage.
5. Assisting the ZWC with research, analysis, identification and development of new opportunities / projects to inform and influence public opinion and stakeholder views including writing articles, creating projects and partnering to move the needle.
6. Working with the ZWC to build momentum in support of zero waste.
7. Assisting the ZWC with Zero Waste Initiatives such as waste reduction week activities, community wide garage sales and Zero Hero profiles.
8. Assisting the ZWC with outreach in all Yukon communities: school, tradeshows, the depot, displays, social media and the website.
9. Working with the ZWC to assess and review Zero Waste programming effectiveness and strategize long term goals.
10. Responding to public inquiries as needed.
11. Participating actively on various joint committees as required to maintain ongoing relationships of the Raven team as a whole.
12. Implementing Raven’s Philosophy and code of conduct.
13. Undertaking related duties as required such as: provision of technical support to the ZWC on a variety of projects, technical review of documents and participation in strategy sessions.
14. Assisting the ZWC with preparing budgets and reports for yearly and project based funders.
• The work is performed under normal office conditions, on site in Raven’s facilities and in a variety of locations throughout Yukon.
• The Zero Waste Coordinator must live in Whitehorse, but some remote work is a possibility.
• Flexible hours.
• Some travel and work on weekends is required.
Knowledge & Skills
• Diploma, degree or relevant work experience in Communications, or equivalent experience.
• Relevant work experience in a related environmental field, or equivalent education or experience.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills. Plain language skills.
• Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft office, graphic design and social media management.
• Excellent organizational skills, prioritizing, attention to detail and ability to multitask with minimal supervision.
• Ability to work in a team environment.
• Demonstrated ability to utilize the internet effectively for research and promotion.
• Commitment to a zero-waste lifestyle and deep comprehension of Raven’s underlying philosophy and goals.
• Valid driver’s license and own vehicle.
Skills considered an asset
• Public speaking/presentation skills
• Graphic design experience
• First aid
Please email your resume and a cover letter that clearly demonstrates how your experience relates to the job description and why you want to work for Raven Recycling Society and Zero Waste Yukon to email@example.com or call (867)667-7269 ex.5 for more information. We will review applications and contact eligible applicants for an interview at the end of April.