Zero Waste Yukon
Equipment and Vehicle Maintenance
- Avoid spilling oil and fluids to reduce the use of sorbent materials. Use a drip pan or squeegee to capture and reuse spilled fluids.
- Launder oil sorbents to extend their useful life.
- Send used heavy equipment air filters to be cleaned and reconditioned. Reconditioned filters, which are less expensive than new filters, can be reused as many as three times.
- Invest in high-quality equipment and develop a preventative maintenance schedule to extend its life.
- Evaluate minimal-waste parts cleaning systems. Only change solvent when it is too dirty to use, or recycle waste on-site. Contract with a parts washer solvent company that practices waste reduction to process and reuse dirty solvents.
- Use steam or high-pressure water and soap for cleaning instead of chemical solvents.