Zero Waste Yukon
Building Operations and Maintenance
- Evaluate safer, waste-reducing options for cleaners and solvents. Choose non-hazardous or less-hazardous alternatives.
- Purchase solutions in concentrate and use refillable applicators.
- Purchase products in returnable/reusable bulk containers.
- Use less hazardous cleaning supplies, or contract for cleaning and janitorial services with a vendor who uses non-hazardous or less hazardous cleaning supplies.
- Purchase or lease cleaning cloths that are washable and reusable.
- Use cloth roll towels or air dryers in restrooms instead of paper products.
- Use reusable air filters instead of disposable filters for air circulation systems.
- Plan purchases carefully to avoid leftovers, particularly harder-to-recycle items such as paint.
- Use paint that contains fewer VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds) and heavy metals.
- Install water-saving devices on toilets, which can save up to 4 litres of water with each flush.
- Install automatic faucets. Fix leaking faucets.
- Use high-efficiency fluorescent bulbs.
- Use motion sensors to turn off lights when a room is not in use.
- Audit your heating and cooling system for energy efficiency.